Let me demonstrate with a practical example. We follow Dirk's journey from non-member to committed ambassador. In doing so, we illustrate how an optimal digital experience adds value to his story.
Dirk, an experienced asparagus farmer, joins an organization for gardeners and farmers. He seeks connection with like-minded people, help with difficult issues, and legal assistance when needed.
- Dirk has an innovative idea with his asparagus but is not sure how to proceed with it. On social media, he bumps into a post from the member organization introducing a colleague who works around strategy, sales & product development. His interest is triggered, and he clicks through to the website.
- During his website visit, he sees an article on wildflower funding in the side margin. Something he wasn't aware of yet but is interested in. He clicks on it, reads the article, and hangs a post-it on his desk to look at later. (A post-it he later loses, of course...)
- He returns to the page about the innovation officer, fills out the form to contact him, and indicates his preferred channel: phone. He also immediately subscribes to the newsletter and indicates his preferred topics.
- A few hours later, Dirk is contacted by the innovation officer who spars with him about his asparagus idea and refers him to a podcast episode that prompts him to take the next steps.
- A week later, Dirk receives a personalized newsletter based on his preferred topics, which he has ticked himself, as well as his online surfing behavior on the website. One of the highlighted articles is an information session in his neighborhood about the subsidy for wildflower beds. He vaguely remembers the lost post-it and immediately signs up.
- Comrade farmer Rudy is also interested in wildflower fields. Through a member-gets-member promotion, Rudy, too, can register for free.
- Together Dirk and Rudy join the info moment and get the necessary information they are looking for. Rudy is excited, becomes a member, and Dirk gets a nice discount on his membership fee.
- A few days later, both Rudy and Dirk receive an NPS mailing in their mailbox polled for their feedback, expectations and tips.
- As icing on the cake, Dirk and Rudy can now also visit the member organization's extensive forum, where they can spar, ask questions, and inspire one another with their fellow farmers.